You’re probably thinking, I’m an author. I know how to write and I don’t need to pay someone to write my book tour content for me. I’m going to have disagree with you and I’ll tell you why (and the answer is not because I want to take your money).
Yes, I’m a book tour service provider. I also host tours on my websites for other services and authors. I have no problem helping out whenever possible, except under certain circumstances. I’ll drop an author or a book tour company like a hot potato if they:
- Don’t send the content in plenty of time (at least four weeks before my scheduled host date)
- Don’t include HTML copy so I can easily copy and paste to my website
- Don’t include pertinent info like an author photo, cover photo, author bio, book blurb, purchase link, etc. (I don’t have time to hunt around on the internet looking for these things)
- Don’t proof guest posts, author interviews and other tour copy (I’m not an editing service – if you’re promoting a book you’d better have your tour copy proofed and error-free)
Ask yourself if you’re ready, willing and able to adhere to the rules above. You should also ask yourself the following questions before attempting to go it alone with your book tour:
- Can you spin your tour content to its greatest advantage?
- Are you ready to toot your own horn?
- Do you know how to properly format tour content?
- Can you create a comprehensive, well-organized and an easily accessible tour host mailing that will interest as many bloggers as possible?
- Do you have the time necessary to keep track of tour stops, participants and any additional questions they may have?
If you don’t know how to do these things, but you still insist on haphazardly slapping things together to send to prospective hosts you’re going to be disappointed. You won’t get nearly as many participants as you’d like and those you do get might very likely bow out when they attempt to post your content. Bloggers are busy people. Posts need to go live as quickly and simply as possible. You’re doing yourself and any prospective hosts a disservice if you don’t provide expertly prepared content.
ABOUT SUSAN BARTON
I’m an author, reviewer, book tour service provider, copywriter, marketer and coach. I have three decades of professional experience to offer authors, businesses and others. Via my websites, eBook Review Gal and My Book Tour, I offer several affordable tour packages for authors to choose from – most recently, the Do It Yourself Tour Package.